- For city and district see Baran district
The history of Bulandshahr begins even before 1200 BCE. This region is close to the capital of the Pandavas - Indraprastha and Hastinapur. After the decline of Hastinapur, Ahar, which is situated in the north-east of Bulandshahr District, became an important place for the Pandavas. Later the king Parma made a fort in this part of the region and a king named Ahibaran laid the foundation of a tower called Baran (Bulandshahr). Since it was perched on a highland it came to be known as "high city", which translates as Bulandshahr in Persian language. King Ahivarn or Ahibaran was a Kshatriya and a Suryavanshi (lineage of the Sun). He was the 21st descendant of Samrath (Emperor) Mandhata, the ruler of Ayodhya.
Back to Jat gotras