|Author:Laxman Burdak, IFS (Retd.)|
Samala (समल) is a place name mentioned by Panini in Ashtadhyayi and also mentioned in Mahabharata.
Mention by Panini
Samala (समल) is name of a place mentioned by Panini in Ashtadhyayi under Pakshadi (पक्षादि) (188.8.131.52) group. 
Samala (समल) is a place name mentioned by Panini under Sakhyadi (सख्यादि) (184.108.40.206) group. 
Sama (समा) is mentioned by Panini in Ashtadhyayi. 
Samalya (सामल्या) Samal (सामल)  is Gotra of Jats. Samalya clan is found in Ratlam district in Madhya Pradesh. Samal (समल) clan found in Afghanistan. 
- Samal (सामल)
Sama (सम) as Dhritarashtra's son is mentioned in Mahabharata (I.108.2), (I.177.1).
Adi Parva, Mahabharata/Mahabharata Book I Chapter 177 mentions Kshatriyas came on Swayamvara of Draupadi. Sama is mentioned in verse (I.177.1) ....."Duryodhana, Durvisaha, Durmukha and Dushpradharshana, Vivinsati, Vikarna, Saha, and Duhsasana, Sama..."
- ↑ V. S. Agrawala: India as Known to Panini, 1953, p.504
- ↑ V. S. Agrawala: India as Known to Panini, 1953, p.506
- ↑ V. S. Agrawala: India as Known to Panini, 1953, p. 178
- ↑ Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Parishisht-I, s.n. स-201
- ↑ O.S.Tugania:Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu,p.61,s.n. 2382
- ↑ An Inquiry Into the Ethnography of Afghanistan, H. W. Bellew, p.28,92,104,106,133
- ↑ दुर्यॊधनॊ दुर्विषहॊ दुर्मुखॊ दुष्प्रधर्षणः, विविंशतिर विकर्णश च सहॊ दुःशासनः समः (I.177.1)