Dr. Raghuvir Singh Kadian
Dr. Raghuvir Singh Kadian, was speaker of the Haryana Vidhan Sabha from 2005 to 2009. Leader of Indian National Congress, is MLA from 33-Beri-2005 Assembly. In the October 2009 elections, he was again elected MLA from Beri constituency. Son of Shri Dalip Singh Kadian; B. at Dubaldhan, District Jhajjar on June 5, 1944; Married Smt. Uttra Kadian; one son and one daughter, namely Shri Yashwin Kadian and Ms. Priyanka.
He also won MLA election from Beri constituency in October 2014 elections on Congress ticket, despite BJP gaining majority in Haryana Vidhan Sabha.
Again, he won MLA election from the same constituency (Beri Jhajjar|Beri]]) in October 2019 elections.
- 1 Education
- 2 Languages known
- 3 Present profession
- 4 Social activities
- 5 Honours
- 6 Hobbies
- 7 Sports and clubs
- 8 Favorite pastime and recreation
- 9 Number of times and when elected as MLA
- 10 Offices held in various organizations
- 11 Conferences attended
- 12 Favourite subject
- 13 Publications
- 14 Other informations
- 15 External link
B.Sc. (Ag. & A.H.) Hons, M.Sc. (An. Sc.), Ph.D. (Animal Nutrition), achieved top position in ICAR Fellowship competition. LL.B. (Professional); Hisar and Kurukshetra.
Hindi, English, Punjabi and Russian.
Agriculture; Social Service - Representing Beri halqa in Haryana Vidhan sabha & elected as a Speaker of the Haryana Assembly; remained Agriculture Professor in Haryana Agricultural University, Hisar for 16 years.
He belongs to a reputed and well-disposed family background; the family donated 52 bighas of fertile land to Nehru College Jhajjar; they donated liberally to Mahatma Gandhi College, Dubaldhan, District Rohtak; in the sixties, it was for the removal of the untouchability that the grandfather took the initiative of transferring his honour of Sarpanch to a person who belonged to the Scheduled Castes Community ;during student life, founded an Association of Haryana students during 1965-66 which fought for the interests of Haryana State during bifurcation of the Punjab Agricultural University and for constructive leadership amongst the youths; remained President, Haryana Students Association for two years-1967-68 and 1968-69; remained member, Central Students Association and Library Advisory Committee of PAU in 1967 and 1968, respectively; life member (i) Maharaja Surajmal Memorial Trust (ii) Jat Shiksha Sabha Baraut (Meerut) (iii) Chhajju Ram Memorial Jat Institution, Hisar (iv) Gram Shiksha Samiti, Dubaldhan (Rohtak) and (v) All India Jat Heroes Memorial Education Society, Rohtak; . submitted resignation from the Ministry on 1st March, 1990 in protest against the atrocities and murder committed during the Meham bye-election contested by the then Chief Minister; during his tenure as Minister, the Constituency was nourished very well and development works in each village of Beri Constituency were at full swing; worked day and night continuously for two months for the flood affected people and about 1.5 Lac rupees were distributed for medicine and food when a fatal flood hit the people of Jhajjar on 5th September, 1995; worked continuously against the social evils such as drinking and dowry system etc.; tackled the social problems with prompt action and extra-ordinary vision; performed an intermediatory role between the Kadian Khap and the Sangwan Khap in an unprecedented and very serious incident relating to the cremation of a boy at Charkhi in Bhiwani District in 2003 and was instrumental in preventing the imminent bloodshed; Naresh Kadyan moved petition before the National Human Rights Commission under his able guidance, Principal Adviser for the Kadyan Khap International. .
Selected for Haryana Ratan 2004 by All India Conference of Intellectuals, New Delhi; awarded “Manav Sewa Puraskar 2006” by Indian Institute of Economic Studies, New Delhi on 10th February, 2006.
Reading books, morning walk, watching television and doing yoga and social work.
Sports and clubs
First position in University Wrestling championship (Bantam Weight) for three years (1966-69); Captain University Kabaddi Team in 1968; declared the best wrestler of University in 1969; Twenty nine achievements in various fields of sports.
Favorite pastime and recreation
Reading books on History, Economics and Political topics.
Number of times and when elected as MLA
Six times; 1987, 2000, 2005, 2009, 2014, 2019.
Offices held in various organizations
- President, Haryana Students Association from 1966 to 1969;
- President, District Congress Committee, Jhajjar from January 1999 to January, 2006;
- Minister in Haryana Cabinet during 1987-1990 and held different portfolios such as, Cooperation, Forest, Jails, Labour and Employment;
- Chairperson, Privileges Committee during 2005-2006; remained member of important Committees of Haryana Vidhan Sabha, such as Public Undertakings Committee, Government Assurances Committee, Rules Committee, House Committee and Library Committee;
- Speaker of Haryana Legislative Assembly elected unanimously on 13.1.2006;
- President, Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (Haryana Branch), Indian Parliamentary Association, (Haryana Group),
- Chairman, Institute of Constitutional and Parliamentary Studies ( Haryana Regional Branch ).
- Patron of the People for Animals (PFA) Haryana along with the Principal Adviser to the United Nation affiliated 'The International Organisation for Animal Protection' - OIPA in India.
- Patron of the Animal Hermitage Jeev Kalyan Vatika - Gaushala run and managed by PFA Haryana.
Attended Presiding Officers Conference in February, 2006, several workshops and conferences in the field of Animal Nutrition and many other political conferences as well.
Many popular articles and research papers were published in the field of Animal Nutrition.
1. As a President, Haryana Students Association, agitated for bifurcation of Haryana Agricultural University and was arrested, detained and falsely implicated in a violence case in 1969. Finally, the case was withdrawn by the Government and the University was separated from Punjab Agricultural University Ludhiana and CCS Haryana Agricultural University, Hisar got independent status.
2. As a Senior Vice-President, All Haryana Action Committee, took active part in the agitation for the cause of Chandigarh and was arrested and detained for many days with other students in 1970.
3. In 1975, for not fulfilling the demands of students and staff of Haryana Agricultural University, Hisar, black-flags were shown to the then Chief Minister at the time of convocation. At the instance of the then Chief Minister, the University Centre at Ambala lodged a false FIR without mentioning any name in the FIR, but falsely implicated him in the enquiry for which he had to obtain the anticipatory bail from the High Court and later on, the case was not filed in any Civil Court.
4. When he resigned from the Cabinet on 1st March 1990 against the atrocities and the killing in Meham bye-election in 1990, it was at the instance of the Haryana Government and out of political vengeance that the University filed a suit of recovery in the month of April,1990 which was just for harassment in lieu of not completing period as mentioned in the bonds for doing service in court, at Hisar. The case lasted for 8-9 years and finally the court decided the case in his favour and rejected the plea of the university.
5. When the prohibition was declared in Haryana in 1996, the unnecessary burden of Rs.1200/- crores in the shape of taxes were imposed on the poor people of Haryana. 4000 Congress (I) party workers demonstrated against the imposition of these taxes on that day. Politically motivated, a false case was instituted against 4 or 5 former ministers of Haryana, including him and on the night of 27th July 1996, hundred of policemen raided his house. They broke the gates of his house and entered into his house, misbehaved with his son and wife and threw him out of the house; and ultimately put him in the police lock-up. That civil case lasted upto 2005 and finally it was decided in his favour.
Back to The Leaders