Those who won the shani (saturn) meaning ghar bahar, ghar to gahar leading to Gaharwar. 
According to James ToddThe Gaharwar Rajput is scarcely known to his brethren in Rajasthan, who will not admit his contaminated blood to mix with theirs ; though, as a brave warrior, he is entitled to their fellowship. The original country of the Gaharwar is in the ancient kingdom of Kasi (Benares). Their great ancestor was Khortaj Deva, from whom Jasaunda, the seventh in descent, in consequence of some grand sacrificial rites performed at Vindhyavasi, gave the title of Bundela to his issue. Bundela has now usurped the name of Gaharwar, and become the appellation of the immense tract which its various branches inhabit in Bundelkhand, on the ruins of the Chandelas, whose chief cities, Kalanjar, Mohini, and Mahoba, they took possession of.
Distribution in Uttar Pradesh
- डॉ पेमाराम:राजस्थान के जाटों का इतिहास, 2010, पृ.299
- जाट इतिहास:ठाकुर देशराज,पृष्ठ-585
- An Inquiry Into the Ethnography of Afghanistan By H. W. Bellew, The Oriental University Institute, Woking, 1891, p.132
- James Todd, Annals and Antiquities of Rajasthan, Volume I,: Chapter 7 Catalogue of the Thirty Six Royal Races, pp.139
- Dr Mahendra Singh Arya, Dharmpal Singh Dudee, Kishan Singh Faujdar & Vijendra Singh Narwar: Ādhunik Jat Itihasa (The modern history of Jats), Agra 1998 p. 236
- James Todd, Annals and Antiquities of Rajasthan, Volume I,: Chapter 7 Catalogue of the Thirty Six Royal Races,pp.139
- For the Gaharwar, see Crooke, Tribes and Castes N.W.P. and Oudh, ii. 32 if., and for the Gaharwar dynasty of Kanauj (Smith, EHI, 384 ff.).
Back to Jat Gotras