- Achal was a King, son of Mahabali Maharaja Yashovarma descendant of Maharaja Kartik. 
- Achal is sanskrit word which means, 'a stationery state' i.e. it refers to a state of thing that does not move. Since these Jats remained stationed at one place so they began to be called Achal.
- No. 14:. — Nadinagara Achalaya-bhikhuniya dānam.
- Meaning - " Gift of Achala, the mendicant nun of Nadinagara.
Tej Ram Sharma while mentioning names of Vanikas (Traders) writes about (अचलवर्मन) (No. 16, L. 6) : Achala means 'firm' or 'stable'. Varman is a surname used for kshatriyas. Acalavarman is specifically mentioned as a kshatriya. This is significant. It means that kshatriyas followed the profession of vaisyas.
Distribution in Punjab
Villages in Patiala district
- Dr Ompal Singh Tugania: Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu, p.27,sn-18.
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Parishisht-I, s.n. अ-54
- James Todd, Appedix 1,
- Thakur Deshraj, Jat Itihas, p.588-589
- Mahendra Singh Arya et al: Adhunik Jat Itihas, p.221,s.n. 61
- The Bhilsa topes: Inscriptions, P. 237
- Personal and geographical names in the Gupta inscriptions,p.82
Back to Jat Gotras