Etymology of the Arabic version of Jats
In his etymological discussion the learned author has pointed out that the word Zutt or Zutti used in the Arabic Sources is an arabicised form of Jat as explained in several Arabic and Persian dictionaries including Lisan –al-Arab of lbn Manzur, the most famous and voluminous Arabic lexicon  Quoting the same work, he states that Zut are people of race from Sind who are of black colour. This is arabicised from the Indian (Hindi) word Jat and its singular is Zutti. He has also given opinion of some other lexicographers who thinks that this is the Arabic form of the Indian word Chat. 
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Parishisht-I,s.n. च-52.
- Dr Pema Ram:Rajasthan Ke Jaton Ka Itihas, p.300
- Ibn Mauzur, Lisan al-Arab-Dar-i-Sidar , Beirut 1956 , III/308 , See also Ali Akbar , Lughat Namah-i-Dahkhuda, No. 53, P.379
- Muhammad Tahir, Majma Bihar al–Anwar , Nawal Kishore (n.d.) II/62 (as cited by Qazi Atbar , op. cit.,P.8)
- Majma al-Bahrain under entry-Zutt, (as quoted by Quzi Athar ,P. 61 )
Back to Jat Gotras