Janu (जानू) Janoo (जानू) is gotra of Jats found in Rajasthan. They seem to have belonged earlier to the same tribe of ancient Aryans as spelt today as Janghu, Jangoo etc. Janu is same as Jandu.
A Jahnavi is mentioned twice in the Rigveda [RV 1.116,19; III, 58, 6]. The word 'Jahnavi' may either refer to the wife of Jahnu or as Sayana thinks, it [Jahnavi refers to ] the race of Jahnu. This shows that the family must clearly once have been a great race, which later merged in the Bharatas. [cited from Keith, Vedic Index of Names and Subjects, 'King Jahnu', Vol. 1, p. 280-81].
They have originated from Chandravanshi King Jahnu (जह्नु) of the period of Rigveda.
Mention by Panini
Janu (जानु) is mentioned by Panini in Ashtadhyayi. 
Distribution in Rajasthan
Villages in Churu district
Villages in Sikar district
Villages in Nagaur district
Locations in Jaipur city
Ambabari, Chaumu House, Khatipura, Mahesh Nagar, Murlipura Scheme, Vaishali Nagar,
Villages in Jhunjhunu district
Bahadurwas, Bas Budana, Bhamarwasi (70), Hamiri, Kisari, Mohanpura, Charanwas
Notable persons from this clan
- Shahid Jai Prakash Janu (Col) (22.01.1955 - 01.03.2001) became Martyr during Operation Rakshaka againt militants in Jammu and Kashmir Anantnag district on 01.03.2001. He was from Mohanpura village in district Jhunjhunu of Rajasthan. 
- Vijay Pal Singh Janoo - RAS Rajasthan
- Colonel Narain Singh Janu (Retd.) S/o Late Hav. Chimna Ram from Bhadarwas village and Jhunjhunu district. B.E. Civil from IIT Roorkee.
- Lt Colonel Maneshwar Singh Janu (Retd.) S/o Late Hav. Chimna Ram from Bhadarwas village and Jhunjhunu district. B.E. Mechanical from BITS Pilani.
- Nirmal Janu (Bhataiya) D/o Colonel Narain Singh Janu (Retd.) from Bhadarwas village and Jhunjhunu district. Academic Director & Principal ICSE School at Pimpri Pune. M.A Geography from Rajasthan University
- Rajesh Janu S/o Colonel Narain Singh Janu (Retd.) from Bhadarwas village and Jhunjhunu district. Director Product Management at Mastercard (New York City). B.E. Electronics & Communications, M.S Computer Science from IIT Roorkee, MBA from Babson College Boston.
- Brigadier Bharat Bhushan (Retd.) S/o Shivchand Singh from Bhadarwas village and Jhunjhunu district.
- Vivek Janu - First Indian Foreign Service officer from Bhadarwas village and Jhunjhunu district, PS to Prime Minister. He had completed B.E Mechanical from IIT Mumbai earlier. 
- Late Radha Krishna Janu - Adl S.P. from Bhadarwas, Jhunjhunu district father of Vivek Janu.
- Group Captain Anil Janu S/o Ganesh Narayan from Bhadarwas village and Jhunjhunu district.
- Naresh Kumar Janu (Indian Forest Services) Chief conservator of forests (Meerut zone) S/o Ganesh Narayan from Bhadarwas village and Jhunjhunu district.
- Colonel Vinod Janu(Retd.) S/o Shri Keshar Deo Janu (Retd Teacher) From Bahadurwas, Jhunjhunu
- Anmol Janu (A.En.) Bahadurwas, Jhunjhunu
- Anurag Janu - Commercial Pilot, Air India from Bhadarwas, Jhunjhunu
- Archana Janu - Regional PF Commissioner, Min of Labour from Bhadarwas, Jhunjhunu
- ↑ डॉ पेमाराम:राजस्थान के जाटों का इतिहास, 2010, पृ.301
- ↑ V. S. Agrawala: India as Known to Panini, 1953, p. 123
- ↑ Jat Gatha, January-2016,p.18
- ↑ Jat Parivesh, September 2011, p. 19
Back to Gotras