It originated from place named Jawal (जवाल). Their area faced a severe famine and suffered from Jawal. People moved from here and settled at various places. They were termed Jawali.  They find mention in Mahabharata Shalya Parva in shloka 30 as under:
- जवाला जिह्वं तदा जयॊतिर आत्मजाय हुताशनः
- थथाव अनुचरौ शूरौ परसैन्यप्रमादिनौ ।30।
According to Sir H. M. Elliot Edited by John Dowson Zawali refers Zabulistan, or the country about Ghazni. He quotes Abu-l fazl Al Baihakí - I have heard from several Záwalí narrators that, after the subsidence of the flood at Ghazni, many wretched sufferers found gold, silver, and garments that the water had swept away....
Villages founded by clan
- Jawalion Ka Khera (जवालियों का खेड़ा)- village in Gangrar tahsil in Chittorgarh district of Rajasthan.
Jawali village in Pali district
Distribution in Rajasthan
Villages in Chittorgarh district
Distribution in Uttar Pradesh
- Dr Pema Ram:Rajasthan Ke Jaton Ka Itihas, p.301
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Parishisht-I,s.n. ज-69.
- Jat History Thakur Deshraj/Chapter VIII,s.n. 208,p-586
- Mahendra Singh Arya et al: Adhunik Jat Itihas, p.245
- The history of India : as told by its own historians. Volume II/III. Tarkhhu-s Subuktigin of Baihaki,p.115
Back to Jat Gotras