They are said to get name after eponym Kahlwan (कहलवान).
B S Dahiya writes: Panini mentions Kaunduparatha, as a part of Trigarta, Jullundur kingdom. The Kulun, Mentioned by Panini, are the Kahlon Jats, Kuluta, Kālān, Krishna of the Puranas, Resident of Kullu, Himachal Pradesh.
Kalon (कालों) Jat tribe is found in Sialkot. It is described as of Somabansi or Lunar descent, from. Raja Jagdeo of Dharanagar, and has three movis or clans, Nehut, Jodh and Banna. Doubtless Kahlon. 
H.A. Rose writes that Kahlon (कहलों) Jat clan is found in Amritsar and other districts especially in Sialkot. They claim descent from Raja Vikramajit of the Lunar race, through Raja Jagdeo of Daranagar, concerning whom they tell the well-worn legend that in his generosity he promised his sister whatsoever she might ask. She claimed his head and he fulfilled his promise, but was miraculously restored to life. His descendant in the 4th generation Kahlwan gave his name to the tribe. Fourth from him came Soli or Sodi under whom they left Daranagar and settled near Batala in Gurdaspur, whence they spread into Sialkot. Muhammadan Kahlons perform the nikah, but they also observe Hindu observances at a wedding and when the procession sets out, they go to a chhari or malha tree outside the village. There a lamp is lighted in an earthen vessel and a thread tied round a branch of the tree. The bridegroom then cuts off the branch with a sword and puts it in the vessel.* Its jathera is Baba Phul Johad. 
Distribution in Punjab
Villages in Amritsar district
Villages in Patiala district
Villages in Jalandhar district
Villages in Nawanshahr district
Distribution in Pakistan
Kahlon - The Kahlon are found mainly in Sialkot, Gurdaspur and Amritsar Districts. They are now scattered throughout central Punjab.
According to 1911 census the Kahlon were the principal Muslim Jat clan in districts:
- Sialkot District - Kahlon (6,285)
- Gujranwala District - Kahlon (261)
- Amritsar District - Kahlon (390)
- Gurdaspur District - Kahlon (1,729)
- Lyalpur District (Faisalabad District) - Kahlon (3,037)
Notable persons from this gotra
- Faiz Ahmad Faiz
- Abrar-ul-Haq - a famous singer
- Faiz Ahmed Faiz - a famous poet and intellectual from Pakistan
- Late Mumtaz Ahmed Kahloon - a well known politician from Pakistan
- Squadron Leader (r) Late Imtiaz Ahmed Kahloon (Pakistan)
- Gopal Singh of Bhagowala, Kahlon -Jat, From Gurdaspur district was in the List of Punjab Chiefs.
- Sheo Singh Bhandhari, Kahlon - Jat, From Gurdaspur district was in the List of Punjab Chiefs.
- Bhagwan Singh, Kahlon - Jat,From Gurdaspur district was in the List of Punjab Chiefs.
- Preneet Kaur - Former MP and Minister of State for External Affairs (2009-2014), daughter of Shri Gian Singh Kahlon and wife of Captain Amarinder Singh.
- B S Dahiya:Jats the Ancient Rulers (A clan study), p.239, s.n.109
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Parishisht-I, s.n. क-85
- Jats the Ancient Rulers (A clan study)/Jat Clan in India,p. 252
- ibid LVIII 46
- Bhim Singh Dahiya, Jats the Ancient Rulers ( A clan study), p. 286
- A glossary of the Tribes and Castes of the Punjab and North-West Frontier Province By H.A. Rose Vol II/K,p.441
- A glossary of the Tribes and Castes of the Punjab and North-West Frontier Province By H.A. Rose Vol II/K,p.435
- History and study of the Jats. B.S Dhillon. p.126
- History and study of the Jats. B.S Dhillon.127
Back to Jat Gotras