Mention by Panini
Saindhavas ruled western part of Saurashtra (now in Gujarat, India) from c. 740 CE to 920 CE, probably in alliance with Maitrakas. The known historical events during their rule are the attack of Arabs repulsed by Agguka I and their insignificant wars with Chapa rulers of Wadhwan.
Saindhava (सैन्धव) is mentioned in Mahabharata (I.177.19), (II.31.8),(III.48.21),(VI.68.3),(VI.112.40),
Vana Parva, Mahabharata/Book III Chapter 48 describes Rajasuya sacrifice of Yudhisthira attended by the chiefs of many islands and countries. Saindhava (सैन्धव) is mentioned in Mahabharata (III.48.21). ...the Harahunas and Chinas and Tukharas and the Saindhavas and the Jagudas and the Ramathas and the Mundas and the inhabitants of the kingdom of women (Strirajya) and the Tanganas and the Kekayas and the Malavas and the inhabitants of Kasmira...
Bhisma Parva, Mahabharata/Book VI Chapter 68 mentions Saindhava (सैन्धव) in Mahabharata verse (VI.68.3). ....that mighty bowman the ruler of the Sindhus supported by his friends and kinsmen and many kings of the west and the south also,....
Bhisma Parva, Mahabharata/Book VI Chapter 112 mentions Saindhava (सैन्धव) in Mahabharata verse (VI.112.40).....The king of Sindhus, having pierced Virata with nine straight arrows of keen points, once more struck him with thirty. Virata, however, O king, that commander of a large division, struck Jayadratha in the centre of his chest with thirty shafts of keen points. The ruler of the Matsyas and the ruler of the Sindhus, both armed with beautiful bows and beautiful scimitars, both decked with handsome coats of mail and weapons and standards, and both of beautiful forms looked resplendent in that battle.
- V. S. Agrawala: India as Known to Panini, 1953, p.35
- भगीरथॊ बृहत क्षत्रः सैन्धवश च जयद्रथः, बृहद्रथॊ बाह्लिकश च श्रुतायुश च महारथः (I.177.19)
- हारहूणांश च चीनांश च तुखारान सैन्धवांस तदा, जागुडान रमठान मुण्डान सत्री राज्यान अद तङ्गणान (III.48.21)
- सैन्धवं च महेष्वासं सामात्यं सह बन्धुभिः, पराच्यांश च थाक्षिणात्यांश च भूमिपान भूमिपर्षभ (VI.68.3)
- विराटं सैन्धवॊ राजा विथ्ध्वा संनतपर्वभिः, नवभिः सायकैस तीक्ष्णैस तरिंशता पुनर अर्थयत (VI.112.40)