Dasharatha Sharma (1903–1976) was an Indologist and a noted expert in the history of the Rajasthan region in India. Born in the Rajasthani city of Churu, he studied at Churu, the city of Bikaner in Rajasthan and at the University of Delhi. He had degrees of Master of Arts (M.A.) in History and Sanskrit and received a Doctor of Literature (D. Litt.) for his thesis, Early Chauhan Dynasties.
Authorship of Books
During his career, Prof. Sharma published over four hundred research papers and notes on a wide range of subjects. His noted monograph Early Chauhan Dynasties was first published in 1959, a revised edition was published in 1975 and reprinted in 2002.
The manuscript shows that the Agnikula myth of the origin of Rajputs was adapted from the Valmiki and calculates the year of birth for Prithiviraj III using planetary positions described in the Prithvirajavijaya. It also attributes the success of Muhammad Ghori to the rivalry between the Chauhans of Sakambari and the Chalukyas of Gujarat.
Amongst other subjects, Lectures on Rajput history and culture elaborates on the origin of the Rajputs, brings attention to the celebration in Kannauj after Prithviraj III was defeated (at the second battle of Tarain), follows the thirteenth century Rajput struggle of survival, and discusses the Rajput resurgence represented by Maharana Kumbha and Rav Jodha.
In 1960, Dr. Sharma was appointed by the Rajasthan State Archives (an agency of the Government of Rajasthan) as General Editor of a comprehensive history of Rajasthan to be published by the Government of Rajasthan. This became the definitive work on the history of Rajasthan, a worthy successor to the previous works by James Tod and Gaurishankar Hirachand Ojha. Titled Rajasthan through the ages this work was largely written by Dr. Sharma and published in 1966.
Samrat Prithiviraj Chauhan tritiya aur unka yug (in Hindi) is an updated text on the last Hindu king of Delhi.
Early Chauhan Dynasties: a study of Chauhan political history, Chauhan political institutions, and life in the Chauhan dominions, from 800 to 1316 A D :Dasharatha Sharma; with a foreword by K.M. Panikkar. ISBN 0-8426-0618-1
Rajasthan through the ages: a comprehensive and authentic history of Rajasthan, prepared under the orders of the Government of Rajasthan (Volume I) General Editor: Dasharatha Sharma. Publisher: Rajasthan State Archives, Bikaner, 1966.
Lectures on Rajput history and culture (Raghunath Prosad Nopany Lectures 1966):Dasharatha Sharma. Publisher: Motilal Banarsidass, Jawahar Nagar, Delhi,1970. ISBN 0-8426-0262-3.
Kuch aithasika rukke-parvane Raju ka pu): Lectures on communications between 17th and 18th century rulers of Rajasthan and other dignitaries, Publisher: Rajasthan Sodha Samsthana, Jodhpur 1968.
Samrat Prithviraja Chauhan tritiya aur unka yug ( Hindi सम्राट पृथ्वीराज चौ़हान तृतीय और उनका युग)
Content on Jatland
This content is mainly taken for research purpose from Early Chauhān dynasties: a study of Chauhān political history, Chauhān political institutions, and life in the Chauhān dominions from C. 800 to 1316 A.D., by Dasharatha Sharma, Books treasure, Jodhpur. ISBN 0-8426-0618-1.
- The original habitat of the Chauhans (11-13)
- Chauhan Dynasty
- Broach dynasty of the Chauhans (p.15-19)
- The Chauhans of Dholpur (p. 19-20)
- The Chauhans of Pratapgarh (p. 20-21)
- Chauhans of Chandwar and Rayabaddiya (p.21-22)
- Chauhans of Sapadalaksha or Jangaladesha (pp.27-100)
- Appendix-B:The Bhadanaka (p.101-105)
- Chauhans of Ranthambhor (p.118-131)
- Chauhans of Nadol (p.138-147,148-155,156-160)
- Chauhans of Jalor (p. 161-191)
- Appendix F: The Feudatory Chauhans of Sanchor (Satyapura) (p.193-195)
- Deora Chauhans of Chandravati and Abu (p.196-202)
- Appendix G - Some Chauhan Inscriptions (p.203-216)
- Chauhan Administration (p.219, 223-227,228-234, 235-240,240-241,245-246)
- Chauhan religion (p.249-267)
- Chauhan Social System (p.268-284)
- Towns and Villages of Chauhan Dominions (p.348-353)
- Chauhans of Dadrewa (p.365-366)
- Genealogical tables of Chauhans(p.367-376)
Hamarey Purodha-19 Dr. Dasharatha Sharma ( Hindi हमारे पुरोधा-19 डा. दशरथ शर्मा ) in Hindi. Author: Dr. Girija Shankar Sharma. Publisher: Rajasthan Sahitya Academy, Udaipur, 2003. ISBN 81-88445-00-2
Back to Jat Historians