- Myra, (Greek Mura), was an ancient Greek town in Lycia where the small town of Kale (Demre) is today, in the present-day Antalya Province of Turkey.
- Mahur : The gotra is said to be originated from ancestor named Mura (मुर). 
- Mahur Maharashtra is a town and religious place in Kinwat taluka of Nanded district in Maharashtra, India.
Bhim Singh Dahiya's in "Aryan Tribes and the Rig Veda" mentions a tribe Mura: They are mentioned in RV IV/26/7; X/4/4, X/46/5 and VH/61/5. Both forms of the name- Mura/Amura appear. They are identified with Maur clan of the Jats- the famous Mauryas, also the "Amorites of West Asia." Muram, their kingdom mentioned in Mahabharata, may be Merv in Iran, and also their city called Amurum near Ashur, was admittedly named after these people.
Śrīmad Bhāgavatam 10.59.12 tells that Ordered by Bhaumāsura, Mura's seven sons — Tāmra, Antarikṣa, Śravaṇa, Vibhāvasu, Vasu, Nabhasvān and Aruṇa — followed their general, Pīṭha, onto the battlefield bearing their weapons.
Sabha Parva, Mahabharata/Book II Chapter 13 mentions about The king of the Yavanas, who hath chastised Mura and Naraka, whose power is unlimited, and who ruleth the west like another Varuna, who is called Bhagadatta, and who is the old friend of thy father, hath bowed his head before Jarasandha. 
Distribution in Rajasthan
Villages in Jaipur district
Villages in Banswara district
Villages in Udaipur district
Distribution in Uttar Pradesh
Villages in Hathras district
- Mangal Singh (Mahura) - A.En. PHED, Date of Birth : 0--1957, Present Address : A-302, Vidyuat Nagar, Ajmer Road, Jaipur, Phone: 0141-2354063, Mob: 9414889708, Email Address : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Parishisht-I, s.n. म-82
- O.S.Tugania:Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu,p.56,s.n. 2025
- Mahendra Singh Arya et al: Adhunik Jat Itihas, p.274
- CAH Vol. J (2) P.720
- मुरं च नरकं चैव शास्ति यॊ यवनाधिपौ, अपर्यन्त बलॊ राजा परतीच्यां वरुणॊ यदा Mahabharata (2.13.13)
- महेन्थ्रेण यदा वृत्रॊ यदा रामेण रावणः, यदा कृष्णेन निहतॊ मुरॊ रणनिपातितः Mahabharata (8.4.52)
Back to Jat Gotras