Lukha (लुखा) Lookha (लूखा) Looka (लूका) Loonka (लूंका) Luka (लूका) Lunka (लूंका) is a gotra of Jats living in Barmer, Bikaner, Jodhpur district in Rajasthan. It is a variant of Numri of Pakistan, of which James Tod has given the history. They supported the ascendant clan Johiya and became part of a political Johiya Confederacy.
According to the Bard Manaji was one of 12 sons of Raja Shiv Singh Johiya (959 AD) of Kot Malot (Malout) in Muktsar, Punjab. He is said to have given fame to Manjhu, Sihol and Loonka Clan of Jats.
Jat Gotras Namesake
- Luka = Lukkawanna = Lycaonia (Pliny.vi.8)
James Tod  writes that The Indo-Scythic tribes were designated by the names of animals. The Barahas are the hogs ; the Numries, the foxes ; Takshaks, the snakes ; Aswas or Asi, the horses, etc.
James Tod writes that Numri, Lumri, or Luka Tribe is also a grand subdivision of the Baloch race, and is mentioned by Abu-l Fazl as ranking next to the Kulmani, and being able to bring into the field three hundred cavalry and seven thousand infantry. Gladwin has rendered the name Nomurdy, and is followed by Rennel. The true reading is Nohmardi  The Numris, or Lumris, also styled Luka, a still more familiar term for fox, Hindi lokri or lokhri, are likewise affirmed to be Jat in origin. What is the etymology of the generic term Baloch, which they have assumed, or whether they took it from, or gave it to, Baluchistan, some future inquirer into these subjects may discover.
James Tod writes that Ferishta calls Rae Sehra and his tribe of Langa, Afghans ; and Abulfazil says, the inhabitants of Seevee were of the Noomrie (fox) tribe, which is assuredly one of the most numerous of the Jit or Gete race, though they have all, since their conversion, adopted the distinctive term of Baloch.
Villages founded by Lukha clan
- Ardarsh Lookhoo - village in Gudha Malani Tahsil of Barmer district in Rajasthan.
- Lookhon Ka Nada (लूखों का नाडा) - village in Gudha Malani Tahsil of Barmer district in Rajasthan.
- Lookhon Ka Tala (लूखों का तला) - Village in Barmer tahsil of Barmer district in Rajasthan.
- Lookhon Ki Dhani (लूखों की ढाणी) - village in Gudha Malani Tahsil of Barmer district in Rajasthan.
- Lookhu (लूखु) - village in Gudha Malani Tahsil of Barmer district in Rajasthan.
Distribution in Rajasthan
Villages in Barmer district
Adarsh Goliya, Ardarsh Lookhoo, Balotra, Barmer, Bhachbhar, Chabawas, Chandesara, Chaukriya Ki Dhani, Dhorimanna, Hooda, Kosariya, Lookhon Ka Tala, Lookhon Ka Nada, Lookhon Ki Dhani, Lookhu, Mokhab Khurd, Takooberi,
Villages in Jodhpur district
Chamu, Godelai, Panchla Khurd,
Villages in Bikaner district
- Bagha Ram Lukha - Martyr of 1971 Indo-Pak War
Gallery of Lukha people
- ↑ O.S.Tugania:Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu,p.59,s.n. 2240
- ↑ See: Khichar, Source-Prabodh Khichar (Mob: 9414079295, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- ↑ Annals and Antiquities of Rajasthan, Volume II, Annals of Jaisalmer, pp.209, fn-5
- ↑ James Todd Annals/Sketch of the Indian Desert, Vol. III,p. 1299
- ↑ Ain, ii. 337).
- ↑ James Tod: Annals and Antiquities of Rajasthan, Volume II, Annals of Jaisalmer, p.214
Back to Jat Gotras