Babal (बाबल) Vabal (वाबल) is Gotra of Jats. They live in Rajasthan. Babal is one of royal Jats living in Nandoli Mertiya near Makrana (world popular white marble land) in Rajasthan and gave many engineers, doctors and businessmen. It is a branch of Johiya.
- 1 Origin
- 2 History
- 3 Distribution in Haryana
- 4 Distribution in Rajasthan
- 5 Notable persons
- 6 Gallery
- 7 External Links
- 8 References
- Barasi, according to the bard, was one of 12 sons of Raja Shiv Singh Johiya (959 AD) of Kot Malot (Malout) in Muktsar, Punjab. He is said to have given fame to Babal Clan of Jats. Barasi founded Barasari (Jamal Sirsa) village.
- Babal may get name from Babylon, a city of ancient Mesopotamia, the remains of which can be found in present-day Al Hillah, Babil Province, Iraq, about 85 kilometers south of Baghdad.Babylon was also known by names - Babil (a Province in Iraq), Babilu (bāb-ilû, meaning 'Gateway of the god(s)'), Babel (In Bible).
Dr Pema Ram writes that after the invasion of Alexander the Great in 326 BC, the Jats of Sindh and Punjab migrated to Rajasthan. They built tanks, wells and Bawadis near their habitations. The tribes migrated were: Shivis, Yaudheyas, Malavas, Madras etc. The Shivi tribe which came from Ravi and Beas Rivers founded towns like Sheo, Sojat, Siwana, Shergarh, Shivganj etc. This area was adjoining to Sindh and mainly inhabited by Jats. The Jats of Gotra Babal came to Marwar via Patiala. 
Babal is Gotra in Bisnois also. Three Hundred and Sixty Three (363) Bishnois died in protecting trees in the year 1730 to save green trees being felled by the Maharaja of Jodhpur at a place known as Khejarli in Marwar. 22 out of them belonged to Babal gotra.
H.A. Rose  writes:In Gujrat, Pakistan, the Muhammadan Jat tribes claim very diverse origins. Thus Mughal origin is claimed by the Bhaddar, Malana, Marar and Narwai, who claim to be Barlas ; and by the Bahlam, Chaughatta, Phiphra, Mander and Babal, who claim to be Chaughatta.
Distribution in Haryana
Villages in Sirsa District
Distribution in Rajasthan
Villages in Nagaur district
Villages in Jhunjhunu district
Locations in Jhunjhunu city
Locations in Jaipur city
Sanganer, Vidyadhar Nagar,
Villages in Churu district
Villages in Hanumangarh district
- Kundan Mal Babal - Social worker, From: Pandreu Teeba, tehsil Taranagar, district Churu, Rajasthan.
- P. R. Babal - Engineer , BHEL (GOVT OF INDIA).
- Devkaram Singh - DCIT(CIB), Sikar.
- Shri Sagarmal Babal - From: Dhani Pannesingh, Director at Jeet Roadways Mumbai. www.jeetroadways.com
- Virendra Babal - Customs Services, Chennai. Phone Number : 04425255139, Home District : Jhunjhunu.
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Parishisht-I, s.n. ब-24,160
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Parishisht-I, s.n. व-20
- O.S.Tugania:Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu,p.51,s.n. 1720
- Jat History Thakur Deshraj/Chapter IX,p.695
- See: Khichar, Source- Prabodh Khichar (Mob: 9414079295, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Dr Pema Ram:Rajasthan Ke Jaton Ka Itihas, p.14
- A glossary of the Tribes and Castes of the Punjab and North-West Frontier Province By H.A. Rose Vol II/J,p.368
Back to Jat Gotras