|Author:Laxman Burdak, IFS (Retd.), Jaipur.|
The spread of the Arya Samaj had a very significant impact on education in the region. Prior to this, there was little education among the Jats. Most traditions and narratives were passed on verbally.
Much of the spread of education resulted from the establishment of gurukuls, which were especially influencial in Rohtak. The gurukul in Matindu was established by the Dahiyas in 1914 and the one in Bhainswal by the Maliks in 1919.
The gurukul at Matindu was situated about 17 miles southwest of Rohtak, near the market town of Kharkhoda. The manager of the gurukul was Master Piru Singh Dahiya, himself a man of little schooling. The boys' education there was strongly imbued with asceticism and the doctorines of the Arya Samaj. In 1919, it had forty six students. Education was free, and the institution was maintained by levies in kind imposed at harvest time on the Jat peasants of the neighbourhood. In addition, travelling collectors raised subscriptions from various Jat Regiments. The chief of their squad was Piru Singh.
The Gurukul Jhajjar was founded (on the outskirts of Jhajjar) by Mahashaya Bishembar Das, Swami Parmanand and Swami Brahmanand 16 May, 1915. Interestingly, these gurukuls were not affiliated with Gurukul Kangri, but were independent. Set up during the first world war, they emphasised guru-bhakti (reverence for the teacher) and the virtues of manliness through exercises, particularly in the akharas - ideals which formed a part of pre-existing religious culture and were also central to the Arya Samaj. Later, Swami Omanand Saraswati also established a Gurukul for girls (Kanya Gurukul) in Narela, Delhi.
The assertion of the Jats through education incensed the dominant Hindu literati and also hurt Muslim sentiments. Colonial officials and missionaries perceived the gurukuls as a fundamental threat to proselytization and the Christian education in the region.
Piru Singh Dahiya|Piru Singh]] succeeded in forging close links with prominent Jat lawyers, notably Sir Chhotu Ram and Lal Chand, who were actively promoting recruitment to the army and strengthening their ties with the imperial authority in southeast rural Punjab. The Jats challenged the established educated Hindu elites through community institutions such as Jat Schools, which were run by the Jat Educational Board and the Jat Association.
- See also Jat Organizations
The Jat Association was founded in Rohtak in 1913. Its aim was 'the advancement of the Jat community'. This was followed by the establishment of the Jat Educational Board. Chaudhary Baldev Singh took the initiative in establishing the Jat Vedic School in Rohtak in 1913.
Arya Pathshalas were established within a 3 kos (mile) radius from villages, offering primary education. The Jat families made regular donations to boarding houses, gurukuls, pathshalas and schools. these institutions created a community spirit through priti bhojans, jalsas and shastarths.
These schools and gurukuls played a dual role. On one hand, they defied the hegemony of the educationally superior castes and thwarted the progress of conversion and western education. On they other hand, they promoted political quietism and social conservatism.
Here is the List of the educational institutes located throughout India named on our revered great Jats or somehow belonges to Jat Community.
- Chhotu Ram State Technical University, Murthal, Sonepat
- Ch. Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University, Hissar
- Ch. Devi Lal University, Sirsa
- Chhotu Ram Arya College, Sonepat
- Chhotu Ram Kissan College, Jind
- Chhaju Ram Jat College, Hissar
- All India Jat Heroes Memorial College, Rohtak
- Jat College, Kaithal
- Jat H.M.A.S High school, Rohtak
- Deenbandhu Chhotu Ram University Of Science and Technology, Murthal, Sonipat
- Chhotu Ram Zamindara school, Sonepat
- Chhotu Ram Public School Rohtak
- Gurukul, Khanpur Kalan, Sonepat
- Jat school, Kaithal
- Jat School, Hissar
- M. K. Jat Kanya Mahavidyalaya, Rohtak- www.jvc.ac.in Tel.No. 01234-262130,760
- Maharani Kishori Jat Kanya Mahavidyalaya, Rohtak Tel. No. -01262-274660 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chhotu Ram Polytechnic, Rohtak
- Chhotu Ram College of Education, Rohtak
- Chhotu Ram Public School , Sampla, Rohtak
- Chotu Ram State College of Engineering, Murthal, Sonipat
- Chhotu Ram Rural Polytechnic, Kanjhawala, Delhi
- Deen Bandhu Public School, Kanjhawala, Delhi
- Maharaja Surajmal Institute,Janakpuri, New Delhi-58
- Maharaja Surajmal Institute of Pharamacy, Janakpuri, New Delhi-58
- Maharaja Surajmal Institute of Technology, Janakpuri, New Delhi-58
- Maharaja Surajmal Institute of Technology,C-4,Chanakyapuri, Delhi
- Haryana Shakti School Ghevra-Kanjhawala Delhi
- Mother Khazani Convent School, Mungeshpur Delhi
- Alfa International Academy Senior Secondary School, Khatipura,Jaipur Contact NO.-0141-2351480
- Ardawata Girls College, Ardawata, Jhunjhunu
- Arjun Ram Teacher's Training College , Piparali Road, Sikar
- Baldev Ram Mirdha Institute of Technology,Sitapura ,Jaipur- 0141-2471024
- Bhartiya Sr. Sec. School,Choudhary Charan Singh Nagar, Sikar-1st,4th,6th & 8th rank in Sr.Sec.(Science) Exam.-2009
- CLC - An Institute for Pre Medical & Pre Engineering - Laxminiwas,Piprali Road,Sikar. Dir.- Er. Shrawan Choudhary - 01572-255500
- Choudhary Parama Ram Godara Agriculture college , Bhadra
- Delhi Public School, Bharatpur - Chairman ,Bhim Singh Mob.- 9001099999
- Dr. Radhakrishnan Institute of Technology, Mahendra World City(SEZ),Ajmer Road Jaipur Contact _Mob. No.- 9413339839 ,9414399906
- Dr. Radhakrishnan Institute of Technology for Women,Mahendra World City(SEZ),Ajmer Road,Jaipur Contant Mob. No.- 9413339839,9414399906
- Grameen Mahila Shikshan Sansthan (1988), Sikar- 01572-271031, 
- Nourang Ram Dayanand Dukia Teacher's Training College, Jhunjhunu
- Mahatma Gandhi college, Sri Madhopur (Sikar) 01575-295975/512190,Mob. 9829638682, Director-Mohar Singh Kharra
- Marudhar Engineering College , Bikaner - 0151-2746922-23
- Piramal girls' school, Jhunjhunu
- Rajasthan Pharmacy College, Bhankrota, Jaipur- Chairman ,Bhim Singh Mob.-9001099999
- Rama Devi Mahila T.T. College, Harnathpura (Nua), Jhunjhunu,09413366861 /01592-274861
- Swami Keshwanand Institute of Technology Management & Gramothan, Jaipur- 0141-2752165,67
- Sri Balaji College of Engineering & Technology, Benad road, Jaipur- 0141-2333920,
- Shri Kisan Kesari Shikshan Sansthan - Chairman - Shri Prema Ram Bhadu
- Shri Lal Bahadur Shashtri Research & Training Institute - Head Office : F-370,Lal Kothi ,Jaipur,Jodhpur Office :Shakti Nagar,Paota 'C' Road, Jodhpur -0291-2545992, Merta Office : Behind P.W.D. Office,Merta City -01590-220292 , Chairman - Shri Jitendra Godara
- Shri Balaji Education Society, Ratanada , Jodhpur. Director -Shri D. R. Jangu ,Mob. 9414146000
- Rajasthan Institute of Engineering & Technology,Bhankrota, Jaipur- 0141-2250066,
- Rajasthan College of Engineering For Women,Bhankrota,Jaipur-0141-2251276,49
- Swami Keshwanand Mahavidyalaya, Gramothan Vidyapeeth, Sangaria
- Shekhawati Engineering college,Dundlod,Jhunjhunu-01594-225375,224821
- Shekhawati Group of Institutions ,Opp.Shiv Mandir Cinema ,Sikar,Rajasthan Director - Er.Ranjeet Singh Tel.01572- 259024/9414039303,
- Shri Adarsh B.Ed.College , Sri Dungargarh , Chairman - Balbir Singh Sunda Mob.No.- 9214455271
- Vedant College Of Engineering & Technology ,Bundi-9414037511, Contact - Sh.Gopi Chand Tetarwal- 9828152286, 
- Veer Teja Mahila Shikshan Sansthan, Teja Sthali, Marwar Mundawa, Nagour, Rajasthan, India 
- Shekhawati Sr. Sec. School, Losal, Sikar (Raj.)..Dir.- B.L. Ranwa
- Ch. Charan Singh University, Meerut
- Chhotu Ram Institute of Technology, CCS University Campus, Meerut
- Ch.Chhotu Ram P.G College, Muzaffarnagar
- Janta Vedic P.G Degree College Baraut, Baghpat Tel.No. 01234-262130,760 www.jvc.ac.in
- Baldeo Public School Mathura Road , Near Dorilal Samudayk Swastik Kendra Baldeo Mathura U.P. Pincode 281301. Director -Dr.Ashok Sikarwar (9720101004), School Code 60356, Affiliation no.2130785. www.baldeopublicschool.com, Email - email@example.com
- SARTI: International School, CBSC Affiliation no.1030783, Plot number P-2, Tighara Dam Road ,Madhav Rao Scindia Conuter Magnet City SADA Gwalior 474010.M.P. Mobile 7773013308,6262200099, Nursery to 12th
Back to History