Garewal (गरेवाल) Greyval (ग्रेवाल) Gre-wal (गरेवाल) Grewal (ग्रेवाल) Grahwal (ग्रहवाल) Grahwar (ग्रहवार) Gaharawar (गहरवार) Gahrawar (गहरवार) Ghurwal (घुरवाल) Gerwal (गेरवाल)  Grihwal (ग्रिहवाल) Garewal (गारेवाल) Gerwal (गेरवाल) Girahwar (ग्रिहवार) is a gotra of Jats and Rajputs found in Punjab and Rajasthan in India and in Pakistan.
- 1 History
- 2 Distribution in Haryana
- 3 Villages in Delhi
- 4 Distribution in Punjab
- 5 Distribution in Rajasthan
- 6 Distribution in Madhya Pradesh
- 7 Distribution in Uttar Pradesh
- 8 Distribution in Pakistan
- 9 Notable persons
- 10 External Links
- 11 References
- 12 Further reading
Ram Swarup Joon writes...Gaharwal, Grewal gotra is from the Chandela dynasty. Some writers have associated them with the Rathores, but other historians have proved that Rathore gotra is from Gaherwal gotra, and is also called Grewal. Sikhs of this gotra are called Grewals. They have 52 villages in district Ludhiana. In Dholpur they are called Ghurwal and in the Punjab, Gharwar. The Gahrawar gotra is found amongst Rajputs also, but there is more Gahrawar Jats than Rajputs.
There is no unanimity on the issue of the origin of this gotra. Some believe that this gotra originated from the Chandelas. Some authors have associated it with the Rathores while still others prove that Rathore gotra originated from Gaherwal gotra which is also called Grewal.
Sikhs belonging to this gotra are known as Grewals. They have 52 villages in district Ludhiana. In Dholpur they are called Ghurwal and in the Punjab, Gharwar. The Gaharawar gotra is found amongst Rajputs also, but there are more Gahrawar Jats than Rajputs.
Distribution in Haryana
Villages in Bhiwani District
Villages in Rohtak District
Villages in Mahendragarh District
Villages in Hisar District
Villages in SonipatDistrict
Machhri (माछरी) ,
Villages in Jhajjar District
Villages in Kaithal District
Villages in Delhi
- Brijwasan (They are known as chauthaiya as they owned 1/4th the land while the villages while they were a small group),
- Nangli Jalib
Distribution in Punjab
(Scattered Districts given below) -
Koga near Kharar (Mohali District), Sural Kalan (near Rajpura, Patiala District), Lohgarh, Dulay, Thrike, Chupki, Barewal, Grewal, Hawas, Sirha (Chude kuku wala), Majri, Sukhana, Mehmoodpur, Aandlu, Chubki, Kadian, Bamla, and Chandeni
Villages in Ludhiana district
Assi Kalan, Baddowal, Ballowal, Bihla, Burj Pakka, Butahri, Chaminda, Daad, Dhaipai, Dhandra, Dolon Kalan, Dolon Khurd, Gujjarwal, Humanyunpura, Jassowal Sudhan, Jhande, Jodhan, Khanjarwal, Khawajke, Kheri Jhamedi, Qila Raipur, Lalton Kalan, Lalton Khurd, Mansuran, Mehma Singh Wala, Mehmoodpur, Narangwal, Noorwal, Phallewal, Raipur, Sahouli, Sarabha, Thakkerwal,
Gujarwal is a well-known village in the District of Ludhiana, Punjab and almost all of the land owning families of the village are the Grewal or Garewal Jats. Many members (Grewals) of this village held important positions in the British and the independent Indian military, civil and police services, and politics. For example, the Chief Minister of Punjab (probably), Intelligence Chief of the undivided post independent Punjab and Kashmir, College Principals, high ranking military officers, and so on. It appears from the village name that its original name could have been "Grewal", after the land owning Jat families, but over time the name started to be pronounced as "Gujarwal" instead of "Grewal". 
Villages in Rupnagar district
Villages in Patiala district
Distribution in Rajasthan
Imliwala Phatak (Jaipur),
Villages in Dholpur district
Villages in Ganganagar district
Distribution in Madhya Pradesh
Villages in Ratlam district
Villages in Ratlam district with population of this gotra are:
Distribution in Uttar Pradesh
Villages in J P Nagar district
Villages in Meerut district
Villages in Hapur district
Distribution in Pakistan
- Raj Singh s/o Bharat Singh- Village Baproli.
- Sant Sawan Singh (1858-1923) (संत सावन सिंह ) born in family of Sardar Kabal Singh of Jat Gotra Garewal in village Mahimasinghwala, district Ludhiana, Punjab.
- Baba Alto (बाबा आल्टो ) - Grewal Gotra.
- शेरे दिल अवतार सिंह शराबा - ग्रेवाल गोत्री जाट और शहीद भगत सिंह के आदर्श जिनको फांसी की सजा सुनाने के चार महीने बाद जब फांसी हुई तो 8 किलो वजन बढ़ा हुआ मिला ।
- Ram Kishan Grewal
- Simi Grewal - Actress.
- Kartar Singh - From Village Sarabha - Freedom Fighter.
- Ravjot Grewal - IAS-2014, Rank-109. 
- Prof. Jagtar Singh Grewal: Padma Shri - 2005, Chandigarh, Litt. & Edu.
- Narender Grewal (born 7 November 1993) is an Indian wushu competitor. He was born in Rohtak, Haryana, India. He won a bronze medal in the men's 60-kg sanda at the 2014 Asian Game
Rohit Grewal- Village Samchana Rohtak Haryana- National President of Human Rights Protection Federation
Back to Gotras