Jump to navigation Jump to search
Vir Chakra (Vr.C.) is an Indian gallantry award presented for acts of bravery in the battlefield. It replaced the British Distinguished Service Cross (DSC), Military Cross (MC) and Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC). Award of the decoration carries with it the right to use Vr.C. as a postnominal abbreviation (note the care to distinguish this abbreviation from that for the Victoria Cross (V.C.). It is third in precedence in the war time gallantry awards and comes after the Param Vir Chakra and Maha Vir Chakra.
List of Jat Recipients
- Harbhajan Singh Atwal (LNK) (15.03.1947 - 06.01.2019), Vir Chakra, fought Indo-Pak War 1971 in eastern sector bravely for which he was awarded Vir Chakra. Unit: 4 Sikh Regiment. He retired from Army as an honourary captain. He died on 06.01.2019.
- Jai Pal Ridhau was from village Ridhau in Sonipat district of Haryana. He was awarded Vira Chakra for his act of bravery at Zojila during Indo-Pak War 1947-48. He was in Unit - 3 Jat Regiment (Dograi Battalion).
- Here is partial list of Jat Recipients of Vir Chakra . You may add more.
- Khajan Singh Sangwan (Hav) (15.03.1944 - 1998), Vir Chakra, was from Kheri Boora village in tahsil and district Charkhi Dadri of Haryana. He was awarded with Vir Chakra for his act of bravery in Indo-Pak War-1971.
- Roop Chand - Veer Chakra, A-8264/1016454 Sawar (Retd), DOB:28.8.1923, From: Silana, Kharkhoda, Sonipat, Haryana, Father:Kanhaiya, Nomination: 28.8.1940, Award Date: 12.4.1948.
- Major Balbir Singh Poonia - Vir Chakra 1971 war).
- Shivo Chand Ram, Veer Chakra, Naik (2836837), Subedar and Honorary Lt, (Retired), Unit: 2, Rajputana Rifles, DOB: 23.3.1926, From Kuleri, Hisar, Haryana, Father: Lekha Ram, Nomination: 23.3.1942, Award Date: 29.5.1948
- Lakhmi Chand Hawaldar (2643527) - Veer Chakra (posthumous), DOB:10.5.1942, From Dhanana, Bhiwani, Haryana, Father:Paras Ram, Nomination: 10.5.1960, Award Date 11.9.1967. Unit:2 Grenadiers.
- Amarjeet Singh Sandhu (Sqdrn Leader) (23.01.1933 - 24.09.1971), Vira Chakra, did act of bravery on 18 September 1965 during Indo-Pak War-1965 for which hewas awarded Vira Chakra. He was from Moriwala is a village in District Sirsa in the Indian state of Haryana.
- Capt Prithvi Singh Dagar (Vir Chakra) - HERO of NATHU-LA 1967
- Dayanand Sangwan - Vir Chakra, Martyr of 1971 Indo-Pak war
- Sher Singh Major, Veer Chakra, IC 14619 Major, Unit: Maratha Light Infantry, DOB: 20.2.1936, From Jhumpa Khurd, Bhiwani, Haryana, Father: Manbhar Ram, Nomination: 30.6.1963, Award Date: 6.12.1971
- Sepoy Gorkha Ram Jakhad - Vir Chakra, Martyr of 1971 Indo-Pak war
- Sampuran Singh, Veer Chakra, Sepoy (3364799), Unit: 6 Sikh Regiment, DOB: 10.1.1949, From Sundran Kheri, Ropar, Punjab, Father: Pritam Singh, Nomination: 10.1.1969, Award Date: 3.12.1971
- Shish Ram Gill - Vir Chakra in Kargil war 1999
- Subedar Bhanwar Lal Bhakar - Vir Chakra in Kargil war 1999
- Subedar Randhir Singh - Vir Chakra in Kargil war 1999
- Havildar Kumar Singh Sogarwal - Vir Chakra in Kargil war 1999
- Subedar Karnail Singh - Vir Chakra in Kargil war 1999
- Maj Balwinder Singh Bajwa - Martyr Kargil war 1999
- Havildar Yash Vir Singh Tomar - Vir Chakra in Kargil war 1999
- Havaldar Madal Lal - Vir Chakra (Posthumous) in Kargil war 1999
- Subedar Bahadur Singh - Vir Chakra (posthumous) in Kargil war 1999
- Maj Karam Vir Lamba - RAJ RIF 
- Capt Karam Singh Kang - GARH RIF 
- Hav Khazan Singh Sangwan - 12 GUARDS
- Maj Balbir Singh Poonia - 7 RAJ RIF, 1971 (Mynamati)
- 2/LT Joginder Singh Jaswal - 9 PUNJAB
- Capt Sukhwant Singh Gill - 18 FD REGT
- Capt Gurmeet Singh Punia - 660 AOP SQN
- Maj Gurdev Singh Jaswal (P) - Punjab (posthumous)
- Lt Col Kuldip Singh Brar - 1 MLI
- Lt Col Amarjit Singh Brar - 7 RAJ RIF
- 2/LT Devpal Singh B Deval (P) - 5/5 GR (posthumous)
- Lt Deepankar Kapoor Singh Sharawat - 2 NAGA
- Ladu Ram Jat (Jitarwal), Veer Chakra (Posthumous), grandfather of Mohana Singh, was a flight gunner in the Aviation Research Centre and is recipient of Vira Chakra Award in 1948 Indo-Pak War. Their family earlier lived in village Papda but now is settled at Khatehpura in Jhunjhunu district, Rajasthan. ,Unit: 1 Indian Grenadiers, DOB: 28.3.1925, Father: Tulsa Ram, Nomination: 28.9.1942, Award Date 11.2.1948.
- Sunil Khokhar - Captain Sunil Khokhar (5.5.1966-7.5.1994) (Vir Chakra) was a second generation soldier. He became martyr on May 7, 1994 in ‘Operation Meghdoot’ at Siachen Glacier. He is from Kansala, Rohtak, Haryana. His father Satish Kumar Khokhar served in the Army for 28 years and retired as Honorary Captain.
- Pale Ram Dalal (Hon. Captain) (born:20.5.1922), Vir Chakra, MM, from village Daboda Kalan in Bahadurgarh Tehsil of Jhajjar district in Haryana. He fought 1947-48 Indo-Pak war. He again fought 1965 Indo-Pak war in which he was awarded Veer Chakra for his bravery. Unit - 3 Jat Regiment (Dograi Batallion)
- Pravin Kumar Barak (Col) (b.18.02.1976-) fought Kargil War in 1999 and was awarded Vira Chakra for his act of bravery. He belongs to a family of army men. His father Mahabir Singh Barak and grandfather Amilal were in Indian Army. He belongs to village Baland in tahsil and district Rohtak in Haryana. Unit: 14 Sikh Regiment.
- Har Iqbal Singh Dhaliwal (Second Lt) fought bravely during Indo-Pak War 1965 on 08.09.1965 at Sialkot, Pakistan.
- Tej Prakash Singh Gill (Sqdn Leader) did act of bravery on 19 & 21 September 1965 in 21 Ground Attack Missions during Indo-Pak War-1965.
- Dharam Chand Dhillon (Signal Man) (01.08.1943 - 27.10.1962), Vira Chakra, became martyr during Indo-China War on 27.10.1962. He was from Babrauli village in tahsil Kosli of Rewari district in Haryana. Unit: Corps of Signal.
- Naib Singh Gill (Naik) (22.12.1939 - 03.12.1971), Vira Chakra (Posthumous), became martyr on 03.12.1971 in Operation Cactus Lily during Indo-Pak War-1971 in western sector. Unit: 6 Sikh Regiment. He was from village Mallewala in tahsil and district Faridkot of Punjab.
- ↑ http://indianarmy.nic.in/award/vir_chakra1.html
- ↑ http://indianarmy.nic.in/award/vir_chakra1.html
- ↑ Dainik Bhaskar, Jaipur, 19.6.16
Back to Lists of Jatland