Chhikara (छिकारा)  Chikara (चिकारा) Chheekara (छीकारा) Chhikar (छीकर) gotra Jats live in Haryana, Uttar Pradesh. Dilip Singh Ahlawat has mentioned it as one of the ruling Jat clans in Central Asia.
- 1 Origin
- 2 History
- 3 Amroha Estate
- 4 छीलर-छिकारा
- 5 Distribution in Haryana
- 6 Distribution in Uttar Pradesh
- 7 Villages in Delhi
- 8 Notable persons
- 9 Gallery of Chhikara people
- 10 Chhikara Village in Mathura
- 11 References
- This gotra started after place named Chak (चक). 
- It is derived from Shiva's name Kara by adding Shri hence Shrikara which degenerated to Chhikara.
Ram Swarup Joon writes that Chhillar and Chhikhara Both these gotras are related to each other and to Dalal and Deshwal gotras too. The Chhillar gotra is found in the Punjab. It appears that Chhail and Chhilar are one and the same gotra. Near Bahadurgarh in district Rohtak (Haryana) they have a few villages in a compact area. They are considered to be the descendants of Mann.
The Vayu Purana (47, 44) and the Matsya Purana, (121, 45) mention that:
- सान्ध्रान् स्तुखारान् लम्पकान् पह्लवान् दरदान् छकान्
- अताञ्जनापदाञ्चक्षु प्लावयन्ती गतोदधिम्
The Chaksu or Oxus river goes to the sea after irrigating the lands of the Sandhrans (Jats) , Tukharas (Takhar Jats), Lampakas (Lamba Jats), Pahlavas (Pehlavi-Iranians) Daradas (of Kashmir) and Chhakans (Chhikara Jats).
Dasharatha Sharma in book "Early Chauhan Dynasties" [Page-171] while discussing Udayasimha Chauhan of Jalor writes that Iltutmish pushed on, and managed to reach Udayasimha's desert capital. Udayasimha opened negotiations; and the Sultan though he could hardly have been satisfied with the token tribute of a hundred camels and two hundred horses offered by Udayasirhha, accepted it and confirmed Udayasimha in his possessions. Nearly five years later, perhaps in V. 1278 when Iltutmish once again assumed the offensive against Rajasthan, and after sacking Nagda advanced even upon Gujarat, Udayasirhha joined as already stated above, the league organised by Viradhavala Vaghela of Dholka and his minister Vastupala. The drama gives the name of the Muslim invader as Milachchhrikara (मीलच्छ्रिकार), which Dr. G.H. Ojha equates with Amir-i-shikar, a title once borne by Iltutmish. Drs.D.R. Barnett and H.C, Ray object to the identification, saying that Milachchhrikara cannot phonetically be the Sanskritised form of Amir-i-shikar. It is no doubt so; but it can be easily the Paisachi form of Mir-i-shikar. The Muslim ruler and his minister talk with each other in Paishachi; so it is only natural that he should have a Paisachi name. The dramatist changes Mir into Mila and shikar into chhrikara through the intermediate Sanskritised form Shrikara. The usual sandhi rules thereafter give us the Milachchhrikara, actually used in the drama. As regards the date of this expedition we put it about V. 1278 (1221 A.D.)
Amroha estate. (One of the family members served as minister in uttar pradesh govt.)
Dynasty: Chikara Jats.
Credit:- Singh Dinesh Beniwal
छीलर व छिकारा एक ही नाम है, केवल भाषा-भेद से दो नाम बोले जाने लगे। छीलर व छिकारा एक ही रक्त के हैं, इसीलिए इनके आमने-सामने तथा भानजा-भानजी के आपस में रिश्ते-नाते नहीं होते हैं। यह इन दोनों का रक्त भाई का ठोस प्रमाण है।
Distribution in Haryana
Villages in Sonepat district
Villages in Jhajjar district
Villages in Jind district
Distribution in Uttar Pradesh
Villages in Muzaffarnagar district
Villages in Shamli district
Villages in Jyotiba Phule Nagar district
- Kailbakri (कीलबकरी) and Bastapur (both in Amroha tahsil),
- Kalampur (कलामपुर) (or Kamalpur (कमालपुर) (in Amroha tahsil)
Villages in Meerut district
Villages in Bareilly district
Bhoola Nabipur (भूला नबीपुर) (in Baheri tahsil),
Villages in Moradabad district
Villages in Rampur district
Loharri Tanda (38),
Villages in Bagpat district
Villages in Delhi
- Chaudhary Vinay Chhikara - Advocate Supreme Court of India Originally from village Juan, district Sonepat, Haryana
- Lt. Ravinder Chhikara - Kirti Chakra
- Akash Chhikara IAS
- Master Raghbir Singh (Chhikara): Retired school teacher, social worker, Arya Samaji and philanthropist
- Omveer Singh Chhikara GM-Sugar Mill Dhuri - Punjab
- Chaudhary Sumit Singh - Engineer, Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL,) Haridwar. Originally from village Bhoola Nabipur, district Bareilly, U.P.
- Sandeep Chhikara Ex. President - Ch. Charan Singh University ,Meerut
- Squadron Leader Gaurav Choudhry Technical Officer in Indian Air Force. Originally from village खेडकी मुजक्कीपुर Thana & P.O - Jani Khurd , district Meerut , U.P
- Ajay Chikara - President Delhi Students Union
- Mr. Satish Kumar Chikara - Under Secretary Revenue , 44, Tarun Vihar, Plot 3, Sec-13, Rohini, New Delhi Ph: 011-23094083, 011-27860909, 9971727996 (PP-382)
- Ajay Chhikara: IRS-2010, presently posted as Deputy Director, Directorate of Revenue Intelligence, New Delhi, M: 9911046586
- Dr. D. V. Chikara - Govt. Service Asso.Prof, Delhi University, HRD, Shivaji College , 304/2A, Chemsford Road, Railway Appts, New Delhi-110055, 011-23746633, 9971233102 (PP-521)
- Gaurav Chhikara: born 1986, Kheri Asra & Najafgarh, Corporate Communication & Marketing expert based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Priyavart Chaudhary Chhikara - Social worker, Mob: 9212557246. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org He is All India General Secretary of Kendriya Vidyalaya Pragatisheel Shikshak Sangh (KVPSS)
- Mohit Chhikara - He is an Actor and YouTuber from Delhi.
Gallery of Chhikara people
Chhikara Village in Mathura
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Parishisht-I, s.n. छ-8
- B S Dahiya:Jats the Ancient Rulers (A clan study), p.237, s.n.40
- Dr Ompal Singh Tugania: Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu, p.38, sn-793.
- Dr Pema Ram:Rajasthan Ke Jaton Ka Itihas, p.300
- Dr Ompal Singh Tugania: Jat Samuday ke Pramukh Adhar Bindu, p.38, sn-797.
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Chapter IV (Page 342)
- Mahendra Singh Arya et al.: Adhunik Jat Itihas, p.242
- Ram Swarup Joon: History of the Jats/Chapter V,p. 77
- Jat History Dalip Singh Ahlawat/Chapter XI,p.1014
Back to Jat Gotras